Live On Pointe

Thursday, February 27, 2014

My Story

My name is Clarissa May, and I am a dancer, dreamer, and survivor of a severe concussion and Anorexia Nervosa.  This is my story...

I began dancing in 2005 at the age of four.  My mom put me in my first ballet class because I wouldn't stop pirouetting around the house.  I loved it, and kept dancing from that moment onwards.  As the years passed by, my schedule's intensity increased, until I was dancing 20 hours a week at the studio, when I was only 8.  I soon became my Russian teachers' favorite, which was a blessing and a curse.  The other girls in my level, who were mostly at least a year older, became jealous, and started to bully me outside of the classroom.  I hid in the bathroom at breaks, and started to get chronic stomachaches from the stress.  My schoolwork began to slip by the wayside, along with everything else outside of dance.  The car rides to and from dance began to fill with lectures on my unfinished schoolwork, and our family life began to deteriorate.  I was cast in the lead roll of Dorothy in the spring recital of 2009, but as the rehearsals progressed, the situation at home worsened.  



Age 8, stretching at PCAD

After the show, my mom pulled me out of ballet. She felt the environment at my studio was not emotionally healthy for me, and that I needed to explore other options and interests before continuing my then-current level of commitment to dance. Additionally, I would have been en pointe at age 9, which was not something my parents felt good about. So my mom gave me 6 months to see if I could be happy without dance. 


Eight months later, in February of 2010, I was still terribly missing dance.  I discovered fencing, which I greatly enjoyed. Unfortunately, in March I had a series of blows to the head (2 to the chin in fencing warm up, and one very hard hit to the top of the head getting in to the car - so hard my mom thought we’d had an earthquake as she was loading up the car). These knocks to the head occurred 2 weeks apart, and the morning after the last one I woke up with flu like symptoms. Two days later I had a seizure. Over the next 2 weeks it became apparent that I was suffering from a massive concussion with gradual onset - similar to “boxer syndrome” or a football player’s cumulative injuries. The CT scan showed no bleeding, and I could still spell 3 letter words backwards, so the doctors all said I was fine - despite the fact that I could not so much as look at a book or travel in the car or make a choice between 2 different bathing suits without dizziness, headache, and anxiety attacks. I spent the next few months visiting doctors and natural healers, and lying on the couch with my eyes closed, listening to books on tape while my mom surfed the Internet, trying to figure out what was wrong with me….


Ultimately, my mom was able to piece together that I had injured my hypothalamus, which is located just above the sinus cavity and acts as command central for a myriad of brain functions, ranging from hunger and thirst signals to stress response, body temperature control, blood pressure, heart rate, and hormonal function.

The hypothalamus helps control the pituitary gland, particularly in response to stress. The pituitary, in turn, controls the:

  • Adrenal glands 
  • hormonal production 
  • Thyroid gland
  • The hypothalamus also helps regulate:
  • Body temperature
  • Emotions
  • Growth
  • Salt and water balance
  • Sleep
  • Weight and appetite

    In addition, there are some areas immediately surrounding the hypothalamus which appeared to be impacted as well. These areas control decision making and vision, so I had chronic dizziness and full blown anxiety attacks (including uncontrollable trembling in the legs, racing heart rate, and fear of dying in my sleep) every time I had to make a simple decision between 2 things such as what I wanted for dinner or which bathing suit to wear; and I could not look at a book, a television screen or a computer without developing dizziness and headaches. I was unable to control my body temperature, and reacted to being in a slightly overheated environment for more than a minute by having a full blown anxiety attack (with all the physical symptoms including fear I was dying) and then sleeping for several days at a stretch.
    After several weeks my mom started her own rehabilitation program for me, which consisted in part of looking at picture books for brief periods of time, and going for walks when the weather was cool. After a few months I was able to participate in "normal" activities so long as I did not over exert myself (no running, no jumping, no balls flying through the air) and did not stay in the sun or in a space warmer than 72*. The most alarming latent symptom was the inability to control my temperature - my mom did not yet realize the severity of the problem with my hunger signals. I took up swimming until it became apparent that I had also developed multiple chemical sensitivities and could not tolerate chlorine.
A year passed, with gradual improvement in overall symptoms, but it still was very apparent that my brain had not fully recovered, and my family often wondered if I would ever be my old self again. In the summer of 2011 I became alarmingly thin and refused to increase her caloric intake accordingly. In September I had gastro-paralysis from an upset stomach, and developed full blown Anorexia Nervosa almost overnight. I lost a lb a day for a week, until I was 70 lbs with a BMI of 13, and for several days I was eating less than 500 calories a day.  I am a girl who needs 3-4,000 calories a day to maintain my current weight, and at the time required over 4,000 calories a day. Looking back, we think what happened is that my caloric needs were sky-rocketing in anticipation of 11-year-old growth spurts, but without hunger signals I just kept eating what looked to me like a normal amount of food. 
Anyway, we were back to daily visits to the doctor, acupuncturist, chiropractor and masseuse, and by Christmas I was "out of the woods," which meant I was only seeing the doctor once a week instead of once a day, my family had to spend only 3 hours a day supervising my eating (instead of 6), and I was no longer living one meal away from a feeding tube. At this point I was at 75 lbs (yes, it took me 3 months to gain 5 lbs; every 2 oz was a victory!) and had grown another 4 inches since I started eating again (which meant my BMI was still dangerously low, but at least I was eating and growing). Fortunately my family (and God!) were able to get me well without ever admitting me to a hospital or ED clinic.
At my lowest weight, BMI 13

Here is the crazy, God part of the anorexia.... my mom learned later, after she noticed that the symptoms of my brain injury were finally improving, that a high fat diet causes growth specifically in the hypothalamus! My mom had spent the past 9 months pouring coconut oil, olive oil, flaxseed oil and grape seed oil on my food by the tablespoon, so ultimately, while the head injury lead to the anorexia, the anorexia cured the head injury!!! We are still convinced this was a miracle.


In August of 2012, my mom finally realized I was waking up crying several times a week after a recurrent dream that I was dancing on stage, only to wake up and realize it would never happen. Although she was very hesitant to have dance take over our family and our lives again, she saw that I would never be happy until I could dance again. With the brain injury healed, it was finally an option. 

In late August 2012 we chose a low-key dance studio to get me back on my feet and see how I felt about it. Foolishly, my mom thought perhaps I would just take it up as a minor hobby, but it quickly became apparent that was naive of her! After 2 months, my teachers said I was ready for pointe work, and less than a month later it became obvious to all of us that PBC had little more to offer me, training-wise.


I felt very strongly about returning to my old Russian teachers from when I was younger, who had separated from the studio and formed their own studio.  Although my mom was not overly excited about the prospect, she could see that I felt a need to complete something with them. My teachers were, from the beginning, very excited and supportive of me, and the speed with which I was catching up to the other dancers was exciting. My greatest challenge was that I had lost all of my muscle due to the eating disorder.  I spent my first 9 months back at dance rebuilding all my muscles.

Above, some jumps at the beach after a day at my first Summer Intensive

Me as a princess in Swan Lake, my first show

After dancing with my studio for a little over a year, some unfortunate interactions with one of the teachers began making things uncomfortable.  Holes in their teaching style and technique began to reveal themselves, and it soon became apparent that it was time to move on.


I am now dancing at another Russian Ballet School, one year and four months after returning to dance, and four and a half years after I first left dance. During the ensuing years I took up piano, sculpting, painting, and writing. While I have enjoyed all of the other forms of art, and they have broadened my outlook on life, nothing has been able to replace my passion for dance.



At a rehearsal for Youth America Grand Prix

I recognize the challenging path I have chosen, but after all I have been through, my friends and family can fully stand behind my dreams to become a professional dancer. None of us is under any misconceptions about the challenges such a goal entails; I plan to teach piano to pay my bills while I follow my dream, and I am working diligently with an excellent piano teacher with this goal in mind.


Currently, my dance goal (based on my research and preferences), is to attend American Ballet Theatre's Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School, and eventually dance with American Ballet Theatre. 

Two weekends ago, I performed at my first competition, Youth America Grand Prix, in Denver Colorado.  My teachers and I were very happy with my performances, however, my score didn't qualify me for the semi-finals in New York.  I can't wait for Youth America Grand Prix next year!



I am very grateful to have found a studio with superior technique and an ear to students’ hearts. I would like to thank my teachers for this.  I would also like to thank my family for standing behind me in my hopes and dreams, and my friends for believing in my craziness.  I would like to thank those of you who are following my dance journey, for joining me on this fabulous ride!


I love you all to bits and pieces!


xoxo,

Clarissa May



Find me on Social Media:
Youtube: Live On Pointe & Clarissa May
Instagram: @clarissamay
Facebook: Live On Pointe
Twitter: @clarissamay09


Clarissa May

Clarissa May
Clarissa May

Clarissa May
Clarissa May
Clarissa May


32 comments:

  1. Feel free to leave me a comment… I personally read all of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I just say... You are amazing! You are so tallented and determined. I am 16 and I have been dancing since I was 2 and a half and I am no where near as perfect a dancer as you. And this story is so inspiring. To beat anorexia at such a young age is incredible. You are an inspiration to all!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! I am very, very far from perfect, but I am so glad to be able to inspire people! Never stop dancing!! <3

      Delete
  2. this is truly a miraculous story. I am in awe of your will to push forward, live, and even touch your dreams. You will go far, in both dance and life. Thank you for your story. I wish you best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great and moving story! You went through hell, but it's good to know that things are getting better. From personal experience I know how scary it is when doctors don't know exactly what's wrong and what to do, and the family is left to its own devices (and the internet) in search for help. I wish you all the best, hope to see you on stage some day! After all the stuff you went through, I strongly suspect you have enough inner strength and determination to achieve your goals. Do your best, but please never forget to listen to your body and give yourself a break from time to time even when things don't go exactly as planned. "Take your time before you take your chances". Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry about starting late, you can do it! Check out this interview with Maria Chapman, one of the best principals at the Pacific Northwest Ballet in Seattle. She also started late (at 12) and later went through a serious injury. And she's awesome!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdFg5tfULeM
    She also wrote a little about it (as a letter to herself when she was a young dancer):
    http://www.dancespirit.com/2011/10/maria-chapman-nov-2011/
    Hope this helps you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I'm Jayla. You are so inspiring! I'm 15, homeschooled, and I've been through very serious health problems too. I'm still dealing with the health problems to an extent. I danced when I was really little, but my parents pulled me out because of kidney problems. My kidneys were fine after surgery, but at 12 years old I started having different health problems. I've been dealing with problems with my colon and I've found out that I am gluten intolerant. There was a time that I was slightly anorexic, anemic, and had low blood pressure. I started dancing again at 13, but it's been very hard with my health. God has helped me through it all and I know that soon I will be completely healed! I'm a much better person after going through this, and though it has been very hard, I'm kind of glad to have gone through it. I'm still dancing and I love it. I also act, write and sing. I have big dreams and my health is not going to hold me back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jayla! I am gluten intolerant as well! Have you found good gluten-free recipes? My mom has some really fabulous recipes, and I would love to share them with you! Feel free to email me at liveonpointe@gmail.com if you would like me to send them to you :)

      It was the same thing with all my health issues… I am a much better, more complete person after going through everything, and deep down inside, I am a little glad that everything happened the way it did! I love your attitude! Good luck with everything, and never stop dancing!

      Delete
    2. My friend Rachel was just like you she was a dancer but there's just one thing she will never dance again, Rachel of last year was hit by a car and it lead to some series things, like head traumaus and now it's like she had to start her life all over again, and what I mean by that is just that when the car hit her it was like it had it her back into a baby girl so now she has to where diapers and has to to go to school from the beginning again.��

      Delete
  6. Your story is so inspirational. It shows people that even after an injury you can still get back to doing what you love. You had struggles but you fought through them. Dancing is my passion to but I have a problem with my knee and its hard for me to do things that involve dance. Your story shows me that even though it might be hard but I can find a way to dance. My knee doesn't make me uncable of doing things it just Hurts a lot and I can't stretch or do things that you need to learn for dance. Your inspirational and you taught me that I can do anything. Your story us going to help me get a fix for my knee so I can do my passion which is dance. Thank you for sharing your story. Your inspirational keep dancing and sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that my story inspires you! I had a knee issue a while back as well, and I know how stressful injuries can be. I am so glad you found a fix for your knee!! Never stop dancing! <3

      Delete
  7. Truly inspiring! Thank you for sharing your story and allowing us to remember that we shouldn't let bumps in the road keep us from reaching our goals, and to never give up! Hope all goes well for you in the future, wish you the best of luck in life and with dance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How could you pay all these ballett lessons? Please give me an answer:) Thank you;*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad has a steady income. Also, we are homeschooled, so we don't have to pay for Private School, etc :)

      Delete
  9. You re absolutely amazing!! How quickly you recovered and the dreams of dance are proof of the potential you have. A very inspiring story! You have a bright future ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Clarissa,
    I happened to stumble upon your blog from DDN. I can truly say your resilience to overcome all your challenges and continue to work diligently towards a dream really did inspire me. Also, you're a stunning dancer, such progress you've made in the short time since your return!

    I'm struggling with health and university work at the moment, but knowing that others have overcome much greater challenges inspires me to do the same. Also, you've also inspired me to get back into ballet which I've been away from for several months.

    Keep up the tendus and developes <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you kind words! I am so happy to inspire you to get back to ballet!! <3

      Delete
  11. Wow. You're amazing. An inspiration for all dancers especially for me. You showed what a real dancer is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am wo di am so inspired by your amazing story!! It made me tear up! Your so inspirational and I'm happy you are able to share this with others! Your and amazing dancer and your very beautiful to! Never let anyone pull you down! I'm so happy you were able to get back on your feet! I hope you achieve your goal of attending ABT. -camryn age 14

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am beyond inspired by your story. I am also a classical ballet dancer and I struggle with improper turnout from the hip so I am terrified I will never be a professional dancer. You're story motivates me to keep pushing myself and stretch more and harder because my struggles are nothing compared to your determination and good mind set to continue dancing. Keep dancing, love!

    -Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are amazing. I have come across very few people as strong as you, in all meanings of the word. I'm 13 and i've been dancing since i was 3. I love it with a passion, but i'm nowhere near as good as you! Sometimes i've felt i'm not good enough, that i'll never be happy with myself, but your story has motivated me to keep going, to never give in because your struggles were FAR greater than mine. You inspire me. Keep on dancing, and don't stop until your heart is satisfied. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. i believe that you are such a brave person, and a beautiful dancer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Clarissa! its so inspiring to hear about your story and im sure your parents and teachers are so proud of you!! as i am also in preprofessional level and have experienced ED's for many years , i was wondering how your daily nutrition is like.. i will be so grateful if you shared a daily diet routine that u follow.
    Keep up the good work, u are made to dance ballet!

    Wish you the best xX

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would just like to say (and I know you've probably heard this a lot!) but I am so proud of what you have achieved throughout your whole life, and that you have never given up on your dream. You are such an inspiration to me as my mum doesn't think I will make it as a dancer and many times I have thought of giving up. You have helped me realise that as long as I work incredibly hard I might be able to prove my mum wrong.
    Thank you for being such a wonderful support and helping me discover my goal,
    Bee, 13 xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi!
    You are an inspiration to every dancer out there. You are amazing!
    I have been dancing ballet since i was 6 and i am 14 now. I love ballet and it's my life. I had to quit last year because i'm recovering from anorexia. You know everything about it. It is hard tot have to stop with dance for a while. But my doctor said that it is necessary for a fast and full recovery.
    Ballet is beautifull and you are a perfect ballerina. Just believe in yourself, i think you will get really far in this business. You are a hard worker and you have a lot of talent.
    Never give up!
    Lots of love from your Belgian fan :)
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! A truly inspirational story. I can relate to lots of things in this story. I also watched some of your videos and we have very similar strengths and things we need to work on more than others. It's amazing to see that I can relate to someone else! Thank you for sharing your story.
    Dayna :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very inspirational story! I would love to be able to see you dance, do you have any videos up?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! I found your account on Instagram, and I noticed that you said you had only been dancing for a year and a half, and I am ashamed to say that I disliked you. Well, it was more a case of jealousy. It's not anything personal; I have several issues, one of them being that I am also fourteen and I have danced since I was two, and then I find you and to me it looks like you haven't danced for very long and you are already much better than I will ever be. After finding and reading this blog post, I would like to tell you that I am sorry for the way I felt towards you; it was quite unjustified, and I can see now that you are amazing and I am really happy for you and I hope you are really proud of yourself. You are an amazing role model, as you do not let what has brought you down in the past get to you now.
    Thank you for opening my eyes.

    Good luck for the future! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is very admirable of you to post. An open mind reflects an open heart!������

    ReplyDelete
  23. Clarissa my name is Annie- I'm a seventeen year old and I live in South Africa. I took up dancing at the beginning of this year after suffereing from chronic depression and bulimia. I have been following your incredible story for about 3 months. You truly are a miracle and you inspire me everyday to do better, and persevere! I also hope to be a professional ballerina and I am currently at advanced 1 level after starting in advanced foundation- thank you for inspiring me constantly with your gorgeous smile, talent and beautiful heart

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, I'm Katya! ☺️ God has his hand on you. I don't have a story similar to this, but I was adopted from Russian at the age of 1 and was diagnosed with severe malnutrition and a cleft lip and palate. (That's where my palate and lips were not fully formed) It's taken so many surgeries! I was told I would never walk, have severe brain damage, be under 5 feet, and other complications as well. My final surgery is next year, I am a ballet dancer, I am in AP honors classes with straight A's, and I'm 5'6"! It's so amazing to read other peoples stories and share with them yours... I'm praying for you, and how God will use your story to touch so many people! ��❤️

    ReplyDelete
  25. Makes me so happy. You go girl!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comment to tell me how my story has effected you!